Ichamama PB COFFEE & FARM INFORMATION
Ichamama wetmill is part of Othaya Farmers’ Cooperative Society Limited, one of a few washing stations or “factories” that form the coop group based in the heartland of Kukuyu territory, Nyeri. The mill processes cherries sourced from 927 farmers. The total farmed area is 310.9 acres with individual trees yielding between 5 and 10kg of cherries per season.
The Art of Production
The coffee is wet processed, where the fully ripe cherries are:
• Fermented for 12 – 48 hours (depending on climatic conditions)
• Dried slowly over 2 – 3 weeks on raised African beds until the moisture content is reduced to 10-12%.
The coffee is then processed at Othaya dry mill where it is rested in parchment for 3 weeks before being hulled, cleaned and graded by bean size. Finally, the coffee is carefully handpicked before being bagged in GrainPro for export from Mombasa.
Ichamama Factory is serviced by the eponymous Ichamama river, which flows from the nearby Aberdare mountain range through the forested area of Karima Hill. Nyeri County has cool temperatures and fertile central highlands. Lying between the Eastern base of the Aberdare (Nyandarua) Range, which forms part of the Eastern end of the Great Rift Valley, and the Western slopes of Mt. Kenya, Nyeri town (county headquarters) acts as a destination for those visiting Aberdare National Park and Mt.Kenya.
- Country: Kenya
- Region: Nyeri County
- Town: Othaya
- Varietal: SL28, SL34 Ruiru 11, & Batian
- Processing: Fully washed
- Altitude: 1,741 metres above sea level
- Owner: Various smallholder farmers
- Total Farmed Area: 311 hectares in total
- 250g & 1Kg
IN THE CUP: MARMALADE / CARAMEL / CRISP APPLE
- 19g in
- 40g out
- in 28 – 30 seconds
- 60g per litre
- Steep for 4 minutes
- Stir and scoop off the crust
- Wait a further minute for grounds to settle
- Either pour slowly without plunging using the lid as a filter or
- Gently push the plunger the bottom and pour slowly.
- ENJOY YOUR COFFEE